Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What... no nudity?

Last class showed how our films production might just make a finely whisked soufflĂ© of mockery out of my organization skills. Although I like a degree of control and am a goal driven individual, you can bet your bottom dollar that I’m not going to be the producer. From paperwork (location agreements), to set arrangement, to the compilation of actors, the producer better be able to manage the Ringling Brothers via Skype. A blackberry in each hand and some outrageous texting skills might do the trick but one predication is for certain, our whole crew would be spending the night behind bars if it was my responsibility. Who knew it was illegal to film in an alleyway without permission anyways?.. Not me. I can’t imagine the river of paperwork that must flow through the production of a blockbuster film, it would rival the Nile. However, although I’m sure location agreements are protocol for most filming endeavors, I question how strict of a protocol it may be. For instance, skateboarding films are generally massive compilations of professional boarders mastering city terrain. These fools hurdle city gaps, fly over stair sets, and ride concrete planter boxes like it’s the interstate. Seeing that all of these objects rest on property that is of personal ownership, how do such films come to fruition without legal mayhem? My guess (though not worth much) is that although most individuals understand the concept of trespassing, they aren’t aware that they own rights for the filming of their property. You can’t sue if you don’t know it’s illegal.

In my original mental conception of our film I viewed it as homegrown. This meant that the people who were behind the scenes in its production were probably going to be the actors. I figured that Doug would win the souls of America while Elizabeth filled the shoes of Meryl Streep and Lennon brought home the bacon with some solid gut wrenching lines. You may notice that I left my name off the acting squad (stage hands don’t get filmed). But now we’re talking about trying to sign actors? I’m still wondering who would want to be in our film. After asking George Clooney I ran out of options. But on a serious note, I’m not sure how many individuals are going to want to perform in our motion picture. Although this project lies near and dear to my heart, I don’t foresee other individuals having the same enthusiasm and ambitions as I do for our film. After the sixth or seventh attempt at a shot they might just tell Doug where to put his director’s hat. On the other hand, maybe I’m just being a bit pessimistic. But for now, be on the lookout for our film premiere... It might just change your life..

1 comment:

  1. You're right -- there's plenty of guerrilla filmmaking that just decides not to bother with agreements and waivers. The afterlife of those films may be limited, since they couldn't be released theatrically or through a major video distributor without getting the rights to everything shown and heard. But that doesn't mean people don't just go out there and do it, and sometimes that can be very successful. Check out the Oscar-winning animated short this year, LOGORAMA -- not a single licensing agreement to be seen!

    ReplyDelete