Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lights, Camera, Action

This past week, prior to last Thursday, was our opportunity to film. Although my role in the filming process, as co-editor, was not crucial to shooting I still thoroughly enjoyed the experience. For the short amount of time that I was able to witness the magic of our movie, I was impressed by the efforts of the crew. Everyone was continuously adapting to the role of their positions with a sense of flexibility that allowed the production to continue without catastrophe. The camera man, Michael, was exploring new angles, camera settings, etc. while our director, Doug, was envisioning the scene as if it had already been filmed. Once I was able to see one of our scene’s takes I was filled with excitement as I realized the full circle of filming that I had just witnessed.

Several weeks back, mid semester, was our group’s first film production meeting. The five of us sat down around my laptop and watched short films that pertained to the genre that we had be assigned. Each throwing out ideas as they spawned new variations of action, drama, and clever twists. Idea after idea we started making headway, a plot was forming, characters were being developed, and the recognition of potential was present. From this point forward our group slowly sculpted our original rudimentary plot into a well thought out progression of scenes. Then, through detail crunching labor we were ready to shoot… This succession in production stages all floated through my mind as I watched several of the scenes being filmed. It was not only wildly satisfying to see our film come to fruition but it excited me to see the rest of our footage. Which now brings me to my main function in this production process, editing.

Although I’m sure the editing work that waits ahead is more than I could ever wish for, I am excited and ready for it. I have witnessed Doug’s enthusiasm in directing the film and I think it will be contagious when I’m finally able to make my mark. Stringing the scenes of our film together into an exciting flow will be gratifying. Right now I have the scenes flowing around my head like individual still shots, waiting to be glued in order. I have a feeling that when I actually get to arranged the shots it will be like jotting down a long needed To Do list, oddly rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. It sounded from other people's blogs and comments that you had a really interesting team. I know the waiting-around was tough, but talk to anyone who works in film or television -- it's mostly waiting around. We strive for realism here in Honors.

    ReplyDelete